Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Hawfinch at Bookham Common


I managed a few hours birding today which I was very happy about as the weather hadn't looked great according to the forecast. My first stop was at Thursley Common where I connected with the wintering Great Grey Shrike. Nothing else really to report from there other than 2 Dartford Warbler and 1 Stonechat. 

There was no real planning but decided I would check Boldermere Lake (A3 / M25 junction) next. A quick scan produced Tufted Duck, Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, Shoveler, Coot and Mute Swan. As I hadn't heard about any recent Hawfinch sightings from Bookham I thought i'd take a look. I had them there 3 years ago but that's it. No harm in trying. On arrival I headed behind the railway station where I found Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, tits, thrushes etc but no Hawfinch. I then followed the footpath past the woods where I got my first Lesser Redpoll of the year. It was when I was walking back I located a single Hawfinch perched on top of a tree. It didn't stay long but flew over into the wet area directly behind the station up into an Alder tree. It remained there the whole time i was watching. It continually vocalised so if you go looking keep your ears peeled. 





My final stop was at Papercourt Water Meadows - birds of note here were Little Owl, Fieldfare, Redwing and Sparrowhawk.





No comments:

Post a Comment