Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Terek Sandpiper


Before I waffle on too much about how absolutely stoked and pumped I am to have finally seen this amazing little wader I want to hand out some advise....up to you whether you take it or not. Since being back in the UK I have chased my fair share of rarities and to be honest my luck has been pretty good. So, why the hell I turned around on Sundays twitch I'll never know. Saturday and Sundays birding was brilliant and when I realized that Terek Sandpiper had turned up in Church Norton (1 hour 15 minute drive from home) I couldn't believe my luck. After having a bite to eat with my finally I hit the road. My psychology on chased birds is that if I try for it I am committed and as such don't take notice of negative updates. However, half hour shy of Church Norton I checked the alert to learn the bird hadn't been seen for 2 1/2 hours. In an act of madness I immediately turned around and headed home. I have never done that before. I never will again. I just had the worst feeling I was going to dip. An hour later I was stuck in a traffic jam a few miles from home when I received a text from my mate Dave Baker informing me the bird was back and 'showing well'! 


To cut a long story short. DON'T EVER DO THAT. Always go for the bird...NEVER give up. If you miss it on site after standing for a few hours with other kindred souls, then you can go home with your head held high...you tried. OK, bottom line, the following day I kept my eye on the news and hit the road after work, arriving at 7:00 pm. There was about 20 birders there and as you can see I got the bird. It was not that close as the grainy pictures might indicate but I was still happy with the shots from my 60 x Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ72 at full zoom. This bird has been on my mind for many years and I've dipped on it twice. Some birds on the bucket list are special and this one certainly fits the bill...see what I did there:)



No comments:

Post a Comment