Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Little Bittern

Little Bitter - photo by Steve Grimwade
Little Bittern site at Lakenheath Fen
Had a fun day in Norfolk yesterday. After dropping my brother and his friend off at Stanstead Airport at 05:00 am I headed to Norfolk. Just before Sandringham I noticed a Barn Owl on a sign and turned around. To my utter amazement it stayed long enough for me to get a few photos. Great start to my day!



En-route to Titchwell Marsh I picked up a few farmland birds including Corn Bunting, Red-legged Partridge, Pheasant, Skylark and Yellowhammer.

Corn Bunting

Pheasant

Red-legged Partridge
Chaffinch
 There was a good variety of birds at Tichwell as always - 11 Little Gull was nice.

Little Egret at Titchwell

Pied Wagtail
Redshank
Next stop was Cley Marshes. Red-necked Phalarope on the North Scrape was a British lifer and 2 Little Stint seen from the East Bank was an added bonus!

East Bank - Cley Marshes
After a bit of back-tracking and another hours drive I stopped at Weeting Heath and picked up Stone Curlew for the year before heading for to Lakenheath Fen for a worth while twitch! A male Little Bittern has been calling and 'occasionally' showing for the last few days. I didn't hold out too much hope, having dipped 3 times in Somerset for this species. However, I was there and it was worth a try. Horror stories of 8 hour waits and 2 second sightings were ringing in my ears as I passed dejected souls walking back to their cars. This wasn't my story though. On arrival the bird was vocalizing continually, kind of bark, and only 3 minutes into the vigil it got up and gave a massive 5 second flight...brilliant! cracking view and no sun burn this time... 

Swallow Birding Holidays




No comments:

Post a Comment