Pages

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Serin

Serin
On Saturday 7th February 2015 I hit the road about 06:00 am. My destination was was Gunners Park, Shoeburyness in Kent. For the last week 2 male Serin have been regularly  visiting a small patch of weed in the north-east corner of the park. As I have only seen this species once in Brittany, I was keen to go take a look. On arrival (08:15 am) there were a few birders milling around the area. 


The 'gen' was that the birds were doing circuits around the park but seemed to keep returning to this one patch. That information proved to be correct and we only waited a few minutes before both birds returned. Though the light was not great I did get killer looks through my scope. After getting my fill I decided to try get a few record shots with my new camera - DMC Panasonic FZ72. Both birds spent most of the time low down in the grass making photos very challenging but occasionally popped up. 


Stonechat
Whilst waiting for the Serin to show an accommodating Stonechat kept us entertained coming close to all the birders. After about 45 minutes I decided to make a move to my next destination: St Andrews Church in Bramfield Hertfordshire.


A small flock of Hawfinch have been frequenting the churchyard; though I only got a 3 second view before 2 birds flew off. I waited for another 1/2 hour but no luck so I headed to Amwell Nature Reserve. 

Robin
Here I spent a couple of hours birding the reserve, going through large groups of ducks and gulls and some fun time in one of the hides with my new camera

Reed Bunting
Reed Bunting
Long-tailed Tit
Gadwall
Marsh Tit

No comments:

Post a Comment