Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Skylark


Admittedly I didn't go out to photograph this bird. I actually drove from Woking to Sandwich Bay in Kent on Sunday (9th March 2014) in hope of connecting with another missing tick on my UK list: Shorelark. My day started well; birding with the Tice's Meadow crew for the morning in Surrey. Then a rather boring drive out to coastal Kent; first stop Sandwich Bay. Two reported Shorelark were on my agenda, though, alas, they remained out of sight for my duration. That's consistency; I've missed them in Norfolk, Suffolk and now Kent. It did, however, give me an opportunity to get up close and personal with one of my favorite and iconic farmland birds: Skylark. This chunky songster is more often heard singing from the heavens than foraging feet away from greedy birders. 




These shots were taken with my Iphone through my spotting scope using a Kowa adapter and cable release shutter. After nearly two hours of searching for Shorelark, I headed north to Ramsgate Cemetery for Hume's Yellow-browed Warbler. Another hour vigil and not a peep. Went home. Beautiful Spring sunshine all day, no regrets on missed birds; maybe next time. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment