Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker


Nemesissomething that a person cannot conquer, achieve, etc.: The performance test proved to be my nemesis. That about sums up my relationship with the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. Shameful as it IS, I have failed to connect with this bird in the UK. How can someone have Dusky Thrush on their British List and not Lesser Spot? Its possible; cos I did it. However, that is now longer the case. While hiking in the Brecon Beacons on Saturday 22nd February 2014, i got a text from my birding pal Dave Baker informing he had found a pair. Great news! So, after a 2 1/2 hour drive back from Cardiff Sunday morning I met Dave at a private location in Surrey. Here we got TWO males and a female. Had absolutley fantastic views and it really was worth the wait. Thanks Dave!

View from Fan y Big looking back at Cribyn, Pen y Fan and Corn Du in The Brecon Beacons Wales
  

My only contact with this elusive species was in 1999 when we caught and ringed one at the biological station in Rybachy Russia.




No comments:

Post a Comment