Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Birding Local

Boldermere Lake - Ockham
Instead of racing around the country twitching other peoples rarities, I decided to challenge myself to see as many species as possible within an hours drive of home. I didn't go crazy, I just plodded around a few sites and had a fantastic day. I birded from 07:00 am to 7:00 pm and recorded 78 species. My day started with a walk along the canal from Tannery Lane to Papercourt Lock - Walsham Gates; adding 19 species. I already got 14 before I got in my car and 5 en-route. Of note: Little Owl, Mandarin vocalizing at the entrance of a nesting site, female also present. Stock Dove and Ring-necked Parakeet squabbling over cavity rights, a pair of Kestrel displaying together, Stonechat holding territory, Mute Swan on eggs and many other birds in song. 

Great Grey Shrike
A quick pit-stop at Manor Lake and Papercourt Lake added a few more species but not as many as I hoped. Thursley Common was next on the agenda. A very worthy stop with 7 cool species including Great Grey Shrike. 40 minutes down the road I hit Pulborough RSPB reserve and though it added 11 species I felt a little cheated...no waders except Lapwing. 

Bullfinch
My final efforts when back in Surrey was a fly-by stop at Boldermere Lake in Ockham where I added Coal Tit before heading back to Papercourt Water Meadows: here I got Barn Owl, 70 Golden Plover fly over and fantastic calling Tawny Owl as I was about to leave. A thoroughly enjoyable and rewarding day. Highlights included The Mandarin Duck, Great Crested Grebe dancing together and a cracking look a male Bullfinch.

The Perks of Pulborough RSPB Reserve
Species:

1. Mute Swan
2. Greylag Goose
3. Canada Goose
4. Egyptian Goose
5. Shelduck
6. Mandarin
7.Wigeon
8. Teal
9. Mallard
10. Pintail
11. Shoveler
12. Tufted Duck
13. Pheasant
14. Cormorant
15. Little Egret
16. Grey Heron
17. Little Grebe
18. Great Crested Grebe
19. Goshawk (undisclosed)

20. Buzzard
21. Kestrel
22. Moorhen
23. Coot
24. Golden Plover 70
25. Lapwing
26.Curlew (Thursley Common)
27. Black-headed Common
28. Common Gull
29. Herring Gull
30. Rock Dove
31. Stock Dove
32. Wood Pigeon
33. Collared Dove
34. Ring-necked Parakeet
35. Barn Owl
36. Tawny Owl
37. Little Owl
38. Green Woodpecker
39. Great Spotted Woodpecker
40. Great Gray Shrike (Thursley Common)
41. Magpie
42. Jay
43. Jackdaw
44.Carrion Crow
45. Rook
46. Raven
47. Goldcrest
48. Blue Tit
49. Great Tit
50. Coal Tit
51. Woodlark (Thursley Common)
52. Skylark
53. Long-tailed Tit
54. Chiffchaff
55. Blackcap
56. Nuthatch
57. Wren
58. Starling
59. Blackbird
60. Song Thrush
61, Mistle Thrush
62. Redwing
63. Robin
64. Stonechat (Papercourt Water Meadows)
65. Wheatear (Thursley Common)
66. Dunnock
67. House Sparrow
68. Pied Wagtail
69. Meadow Pipit
70. Chaffinch
71. Greenfinch
72. Goldfinch
73. Linnet
74. Lesser Redpoll
75. Common Crossbill
76. Bullfinch
77. Yellowhammer
78. Reed Bunting


No comments:

Post a Comment