Pages

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Lakenheath Fen


After dropping my brother at Stanstead Airport on Friday I decided to drive another hour north-east to Lakenheath Fen RSPB Reserve in Suffolk. Here the weather hadn't changed since the previous week - rain! Undeterred I plodded my way round the reserve in hope of a bird or two. The top two targets;  Common Crane (missed it by ten minutes) and Golden Oriole, eluded me during my stay, but I still got some nice birds.


Cuckoo was seen and heard around the reserve as was Cetti's Warbler. Swifts hawked over the reed beds pursued by a hungry Hobby. One Water Rail was heard while at least 5 Marsh Harrier quarted the marsh. Top birds for me were a fly-by Bittern and Great Egret, a pair of Bearded Tit, foraging the fringes of the pool above and a distant Kingfisher which I digi-scoped with my iPhone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment