Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Triple County Twitch with a VERY RARE BIRD


This weekend has been extremely  epic in terms of rare birds for me. It started on Friday  (17th May 2013) afternoon when I decided to head to Martin Down NNR in Hampshire to chase a Red-backed Shrike. This scare migrant and rare breeder in the UK had been reported by Rare Bird Alert.  It took me nearly two hours to get there and another 2 1/2 hours to find the bird. This individual was a cracking male and I got crippling views but terrible photos (see above). Whatever, I was absolutely over the moon to see this bird.


Saturday morning turned out very differently than I had foreseen, as the above picture might indicate. The plan was to stay in bed, drink coffee and find the energy to tackle DIY. Excuses had just about run out. Then I checked Rare Bird Alert (RBA). 'MEGA Kent DUSKY THRUSH fem Margate Cemetery + showing well (for 3rd day)'. The bird was first discovered by Steve Tomlinson on Wednesday; who spent three days trying to confirm the identity. This was an anxious time for Steve, who only got very brief glimpses, but enough to know this bird could be epic. He was right. On Friday his patience and instinct paid off...read his story here: http://steve-tomlinson.blogspot.co.uk/ 





This is a very rare bird. In short, there has not been a twitchable Dusky Thrush in the UK since 1959; 54 years! So, with the green light nod from my wife I was tearing down the M25, heading for Margate.


On arrival I walked into the wrong side of the cemetery where there was no one. A few panicky minutes put me back on the main road and into the second entrance where I saw approximately 200 people neatly gathered around a Sycamore tree. The bird was tucked in up high and not moving. So, I made my way around to get a different view. Luckily, the bird was view-able  at least, its head was, but that was ok; I was looking at a DUSKY THRUSH!


The bird remained in the same place for over an hour, but the time flew by and it was a really great experience being part of such a historic twitch. I spent a little time getting a record shot, but mostly, I watched a fellow birder sketching this Siberian rarity. I am always in awe of artistic talent and I felt privileged to see this rare bird materialize onto paper.



The bird finally started moving around, waking the crowd from our silent trance and showing well for all. There are some cracking photos of this bird out there, so just search the web. *The Dusky Thrush was not seen again after Saturday. It is probable that over 2000 people twitched this bird.


On returning home we spent a couple of hours doing chores and taking care of a few responsibilities before deciding on a second twitch, this time in Cambridgeshire. Not the best decision as it was already 3:30 pm and we had a two hour drive in front of us.


We pulled into Wicken Fen at about 18:15 pm and after asking a few questions, we headed out onto the reserve. Initially, the walk was pleasant and casually paced, with calling Cuckoo's, Reed Warbler and Reed Bunting. However, after getting some (mis) information from a birder, we spent two (fast paced and exhausting)  hours in the completely wrong area. Don't get me wrong, the habitat and birding was brilliant; Short-eared Owl and Marsh Harrier slowly floating across the marsh, while Reed Warbler belted their song along the river channel. A Kingfisher put in an appearance, while we scanned through a breeding colony of Black-headed Gull; but still no target bird.


By about 20:30 we were almost back to the car when I looked across at a body of water and said to Lori "that's where I would expect to see a stilt". I scanned around noting Redshank, and Black-tailed Godwit and...BLACK-WINGED STILT! Unbelievable. This bird was actually in the area that was shown on RBA, but as I said, we were sent on a wild goose chase that ended, luckily, with a very cool bird...

9 comments:

  1. The technology of this software works stage ideal.
    The MAC being compatible means that the actual Dub Turbo software
    can be powered by an iPad.

    Also visit my site agencja detektywistyczna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Volunteer in doctor's offices or restaurants or nursing and then power a grant for your funds to resume. Then a septic installer installs the software according to that do plan.

    Review my website - usługi detektywistyczne warszawa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Settle on a type at dog pen that can is appropriate when you
    need to the needs concerning your dog. Which the layer should always between 15 and as well
    as 20 mils.

    My webpage; usługi detektywistyczne warszawa

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all is typically the entire most difficult segment to cut.

    Try to allocate enough space to each of these types of in their offices.


    Here is my blog: usługi detektywistyczne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This study builds on first work done our own lab." said Lecturer Bao. Another option is to get started with sunshine to gain domestic hot h2o within the to your house.

    Feel free to surf to my blog: detektywi warszawa

    ReplyDelete
  6. In most cases Company New Season Events are enormous events for service repair shop.
    Offer your customized polo shirts as giveaways available at public events.



    Feel free to surf to my website :: detektywi warszawa

    ReplyDelete
  7. The room where you will store your vegetable garden .

    tools should be check for moisture. River pipelines are very much likely on catch rust.


    My weblog :: prywatny detektyw

    ReplyDelete
  8. They only style to detect men and women is through some sort of
    early detection test. Being considered a very contractor versus an employee is significant.


    Here is my web page :: prywatny detektyw warszawa

    ReplyDelete
  9. intermodal freight travel industry is a new large
    business located globally. Fortunately, there's been a company who has produced such an application.

    Also visit my weblog; prywatny detektyw warszawa

    ReplyDelete