Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Ring Ouzel

Photo by Martin Peacock

No big news from Pulborough today; though notable birds would be Snipe, Little Egret, Bullfinch, Skylark, Chiffchaff, Mistle Thrush, Redwing and Stonechat. We did, however, get a good tip on some Ring Ouzels near Worthing (Thanks John!). I missed Ring Ouzel on our trip to Scotland this year so was happy to give this a go! With our bellies full of Puborough cake and tea we headed south. 


On arrival at Cissbury Ring, a few miles north of worthing, we met with some birders who informed us that the birds were still there. This species stops here on migration annually; both  in spring and Autumn. We followed directions given out by the Sussex Ornithological Society, directing us to the west side of the site. Here we bumped into a few more birders who were staking out the Yew tree pictured above. I spent about an hour here and got my first look at a British Ring Ouzel!

Photo by Martin Peacock

I didn't realize how skulky they were. For most of my hour vigil I squinted into this thick tree, hoping for movement. I was told there was more than five individuals in this tree but they only made very short appearances to grab a berry, only to return seconds later. However, I did get some short but good looks! Here I shared my first Ring Ouzel sighting with local birder and photographer Martin Peacock; who has kindly allowed me to use two of his photos for my blog.

Mushroom on Cissbury Ring - photo by Nolan

Nolan at Pulborough Brooks RSPB Reserve

No comments:

Post a Comment