Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Smew at Wraysbury

Goldeneye

Staines and Wraysbury pits both produced good birds this morning. At Staines Reservoir there were about 10 Black-necked Grebe (one in breeding plumage), one Shag, a fly-by Golden Plover, lots of Goldeneye and a single male Scaup.

Black-necked Grebe


While I had no complaints about the birds at Staines, I was a little cheesed off that I didn't get a Smew; again! So, I decided to go check Wraysbury. This was a good choice. Lots of ducks there, and on the far bank, not one, but two SMEW! Drake and a redhead...Now that is a bloody nice bird! Pity about the photo; ah well, yet another grainy shot for the collection....

Smew
After the pits I headed to my local patch where I picked up three new species: Meadow Pipit, Grey Wagtail and Teal. Other notable sightings included: Stonechat, Reed Bunting, Buzzard, Skylark, Fieldfare, Redwing, Siskin and a Great Spotted Woodpecker nest that was being excavated by the male. 

Great Spotted Woodpecker nest
Blackbird
Ring-necked Parakeet
Reed Bunting

No comments:

Post a Comment