Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Some Patch birding

This weekend I stuck close to home to catch up with some Patch birding. After arriving back in the UK from Canada in August 2012, I joined the Surrey Bird Club and Surrey Birders. One of the fun activities that you can partake in is a local patch challenge. Anyone taking part can choose a 5 kilometre square within Surrey and record species for the year. Its a great idea as it gets people out and concentrating their efforts in a specific area, which, not only produces good data, it also makes birding locally lots of fun. Last year from August-December I came in 12th place with 80 species. This year I hope to break 100 on my local patch. My weekends birding paid off with some good birds including Goosander, Bullfinch, Short-eared Owl, Barn Owl and Stonechat. I have recorded 60 species in the first two weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment