Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Great Grey Shrike on Thursley Common


Today I booted it down the A3 to Thursley Common National Nature Reserve For the last few months this massive expanse of heathland has been turning up some good birds! My target today was to connect with a species I had yet to see in Britain. Not one but two Great Grey Shrike have been reported from this location and I finally got my chance to take a look.


To cut a long story short I did find one of these winter specialties on the aptly named 'Shrike hill'. I had been searching for about an hour when I noticed about 10 Meadow Pipit mobbing the bird. The shrike perched on a lone tree on top of the hill for a few minutes until dropping down the other side. I quickly made my way around and watched it for about 15 minutes until it disappeared. It never did come to close to where I was standing but was happy to get a few record shots.

Great Grey Shrike


I then made my way back around the hill to the dragonfly ponds where I got good views of Stonechat and Lesser Redpoll. Other species included Wren, Siskin, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Magpie, Jay and Carrion Crow.

Lesser Redpoll





3 comments:

  1. You should take part in a contest for one of the highest quality blogs on the net.
    I most certainly will highly recommend this site!

    Also visit my web page; shinningwatchs.blinkweb.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this site.

    I am hoping to see the same high-grade content by you
    later on as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities
    has motivated me to get my own, personal website now ;)

    Here is my weblog ... shinningwatchs.over-blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why people still make use of to read news papers
    when in this technological world the whole thing is existing on net?



    Also visit my site Replica Watches

    ReplyDelete