Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Chats in my patch!

Egyptian Goose

In between chores and buying a car this weekend, I did manage to bird my local area on both mornings. On Saturday I headed down to Papercourt Lake in Send. There was plenty to keep busy with lots of birds in the hedgerows and a good assortment of ducks and grebes on the water to go through. The small pond next to Papercourt (not sure of the name) had a pair of Mandarin Duck, Little Grebe, Tufted Duck, Pochard, Coot, Moorhen, and two Gray Wagtails. On the main lake there were more Tufted Duck, Mute Swan, Black-headed Gulls and Egyptian Goose. The hedges and fields around the lake were filled with tit flocks including Great Tit, Blue Tit and Long-tailed Tit. Other species included Goldcrest, Chiffchaff, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch. Treecreeper and Siskin were also present, both new species for my local patch.

Great Tit

There was a definite push of thrushes, with many Blackbird and Song Thrush feeding up on berries. On Saturday night Lori and I headed over to Ockham for a beer at the Black Swan pub and en-route had a Little Owl fly across the road in front of us and while at the pub we heard another calling from an old oak. A good night. 

Stonechat

On Sunday morning I did another loop around Papercourt Lake then made a stop on Tannery Lane next to the crack pulverising mill. I crossed the canal and river and made my way along the toe path. It was here that I added another species to my local patch list: Stonechat! Two to be exact! Though they are regular at local heathland, I was very happy to find these on migration in my area. Total species for the weekend was 47.

Stonechat




No comments:

Post a Comment