Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Doing the rounds

Goldfinch

Today I checked my local patch starting at Tannery lane in Send. Here I added my first of three year birds today: Lesser Redpoll. A flock of 14 individuals flew over the river making a quick stop on some alders before flying off. The two Stonechats were still in the same area, where I had found them a few weeks ago. A single Skylark, Kestrel and Mistle Thrush made this a worthwhile stop. At Papercourt Lake there was nice flock of Siskin teasing me from the tree tops, a Great Black-backed Gull and 7 flyover Fieldfares brought my patch list up to 72 species.

Little Grebe

No new duck species at the lake, which is what I am really checking for though there were a few more Pochard which is encouraging. My final stop was at Pyrford Weir where I followed the river down to Walsham Weir.

Newark Lock

Newark Priory from river

Walsham Weir

Newark Priory from road

I had a wonderful time at Walsham Weir as I watched a pair of Grey Wagtail chasing each other around the weir pool for half hour. On my way out I had Little Owl calling at Newark Lock. Great morning!
Grey Wagtail



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're really enjoying getting back into British birds Rich! Seeing those photos makes me feel a bit homesick though... Hope all's well, and that Lori and Nolan are getting to grips with the eccentricities of English life!

    ReplyDelete