Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

A walk along the Broadmeads

Robin
On Saturday 13th 2011 I finally got up before 10:00am after a struggle with jet-lag. Actually, the alarm was set for 06:15am and by 07:00am I was enjoying a quiet walk through the English countryside. I decided to walk from the Broadmeads, near Old Woking, along the footpaths and through farmland en-route to Send. At first it seemed a little dull but soon I was enjoying most of the common species found in this area including Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Robin, Wren, Jay, Magpie and Jackdaw to name a few. Here I added three species for the year (not hard as I have only been back from Canada a week): Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff and one of my favorite birds: Little Owl!
Just to prove I am in England
After I crossed the weir I added two Ring-necked Parakeet to my year list that flew over my head making a heck of a racket. Green Woodpeckers were abundant in the area, yaffling their way through the Oak trees along with cooing Stock Doves, another year bird!


Triggs Lock
Just before I reached the bridge to cross over Triggs Lock, which was built in 1653 I believe, I found a flock of 50 Goldfinch feeding on thistles; very cool. The walk back along the river produced Common Buzzard, Kestrel, Canada Goose (tick), Mute Swan, Reed Bunting, Mandarin Duck (stringy tick), Wood Pigeon, Wren and a few others. All in all a very pleasant walk.

The River Wey

Wood Pigeon

Blackbird



No comments:

Post a Comment