Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The other side of the road

Our garden feeders

This morning I picked up some bird food for a feeding station in our garden. This was the finishing touch to a two day project as a surprise for my wifes birthday. Though I realize it will probably be a little quiet for a while, as there is plenty of natural food around. However, it did make me feel good knowing it was there and there were two customers almost immediately; a pair of Collared Dove and a Robin.


Collared Dove

After a little more weeding and pruning in the afternoon I headed out for my first solo drive in England in six years! Driving on the 'other side of the road' was what went through my mind. Living in Canada I have been very spoiled, with the lack of traffic and wider roads. So, I took a drive out to Ripley and stopped in at Papercout Lake, a lake I have not been to in over thirty years. Here I found over 70 Coots, 16 Black-headed Gull, 1 Cormorant and a Great Crested Grebe.


Black-headed Gull

Following the little country lanes I headed to Ockham where I checked Bolder Mere Lake (16 acres). Access to this lake is a little frustrating with no real access with a decent view, that said, I did manage to poke my head through a few bushes to see another huge group of Coots, Moorhen, Mallard, Mute Swan, Grey Heron, Tufted Duck and a single Common Tern.

Ockham Common

I then went over to Ockham Common where I poked around for a few minutes before heading back. It was very dull which I expected as one; it is late afternoon in August and two; I didn't have much time. Long-tailed Tit was added to my very small year list and I got a nice view of a Sparrowhawk, hunting through the woods.







2 comments:

  1. Is that the Bolder Mere Lake near the old Wisley air base?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the one. Just off the A3 by Ockham.

    ReplyDelete