Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Merlin

Merlin eating dragonfly

After checking on a 'very' quiet Holden Creek I headed to Buttertubs Marsh in Nanaimo. When I say quiet, I mean completely lacking of shorebirds. Not even a Killdeer. There was, however, a bonus bird waiting for me when I returned to the van. Three to be precise. As I packed my scope away I looked up to see three Peregrine Falcons, an adult and two juveniles. The young birds were making unsuccessful sorties on Cliff Swallows; until finally, the adult bird got a flock of Rock Pigeon in a panic. All three birds disappeared over the trees in hot pursuit of the pigeons. I guess that explains the lack of shorebirds in the area.

Merlin

The usual suspects at Buttertubs Marsh included Marsh Wren, Bewick's Wren, Song Sparrow, Spotted Towhee, Common Yellowthroat, Great Blue Heron, Wood Duck, Hooded Merganser, Mallard etc. I didn't make it all the way round today as I was distracted by the hunting techniques of two Merlin that were hawking above the marsh catching dragonflies. Other observations included two Mink crossing a path and a Beaver, though this I photographed a few nights ago.

Beaver

No comments:

Post a Comment