Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Adding to the Atlas

Wood Duck
Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I woke at my 'normal' time of 06:00am and decided to just get up and go birding. Living so close to Buttertubs Marsh is great, so that was my first stop. I spent two hours slowly walking the trail and added some more breeding records: Wood Duck with four young, Chipping Sparrow feeding young, Common Yellowthroat carrying food and a Pied-billed Grebe nest.

Common Yellowthroat (male)

Common Yellowthroat (female)

Pied-billed Grebe on nest
After a quick pit-stop for breakfast at Justin and Amanda's I headed to Westwood Lake. Highlights here included a pair of agitated Wilson's Warbler (couldn't find a nest or notice them carrying food but they were clearly sticking around), MacGillivray's Warbler, Western Tanager, Townsend's Warbler and Willow Flycatcher were singing everywhere. Best bird for me though was a male Black-headed Grosbeak.

Wilson's Warbler

MacGillivray's Warbler

Black-headed Grosbeak

All birds recorded will be added to: British Columbia Breeding Bird Atlas

No comments:

Post a Comment