Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

A few year birds

Two hours birding this morning produced five new year birds. I started off on Little Mountain; here I added Cassin's Vireo and Townsend's Solitaire for the year, plus many others including Purple Finch, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Steller's Jay, Varied Thrush, Turkey Vulture and Red Crossbill. As I was heading for the car, I noticed a flock of about 20 Red Crossbill high in a tree. After a few minutes, three birds flew down to a metal pipe that was holding rain water, which afforded me fantastic views.


After Little Mountain I headed down Allsbrook Road to the Englishman River. I only walked about 1/2 kilometre before getting my third new year bird: Black-throated Gray Warbler. Other birds along this stretch included Pine Siskin, Townsend's Warbler, Orange-crowned Warber, American Robin and Hermit Thrush.
Black-throated Gray Warbler
My final stop before getting on with our families never ending chores, was on Church Road in Parksville, where I added Savannah Sparrow and Common Yellowthroat.

No comments:

Post a Comment