Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Notch - Nanoose

Bald Eagle
Today Lori I headed up the Notch in Nanoose. It was the perfect end to a great weekend. We spent Friday evening at Justin and Amanda's getting our breaks fixed followed by some nice pies. On Saturday we took care of some wedding preparations in Nanaimo and spent some time with Kori, Mary and Cedar before finally heading over to our friends; Mark and Caroline, where we spent the night. This morning we hiked the notch where we found Brown Creeper, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Common Raven and a single Hermit Thrush. My heart raced for a while when I spotted what I thought was a Golden Eagle. However, it turned out to be a bad call, and on closer inspection my stringy goldie was no more than a juvenile Bald Eagle. 
Rich and Lori on the Notch
After an enjoyable hike we headed into Parksville where I wanted to check a spot on Church Road for a kestrel. I had seen this individual on Friday while working in the area. En-route to Church Road we spotted a Northern Shrike hunting along the main Alberni highway and as luck would have it the male American Kestrel was in the same area hunting from a wire. 
American Kestrel

No comments:

Post a Comment