Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Quiet Weekend

Nolan swatting up on his science project: What do Owls Eat?
A very quiet weekend was had by all. On Saturday prior to meeting up with family in Qualicum, Lori, Nolan, Finlay and I headed down to the beach. While the boys played and Lori collected shells, I scanned the ocean. A good sprinkling of a variety of scoters, loons, grebes and alcids were seen including: White-winged Scoter, Surf Scoter, Pacific Loon, Common Loon, Long-tailed Duck, Horned Grebe, Red-necked Grebe, Marbled Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet and 48 Black Brant.

On Sunday morning I took a walk at the Shelly Road end of the Englishman River Estuary where I found 42 Evening Grosbeak, a flock of Pine Siskin, Anna's Hummingbird and two Eurasian Collared Dove.
Anna's Hummingbird

Eurasian Collared-Dove
Next I headed into Nanaimo where I had a look to see if the Northern Mockingbird was still around. After about 1/2 hour of scanning with no luck I headed back towards Parksville, stopping at Legacy Marsh with hopes of a bittern. 'There never was much hope. Only a fools hope!' The species here included Ring-necked Duck, Great Blue Heron, Marsh Wren, Spotted Towhee, Song Sparrow, Mallard, Bufflehead and Wood Duck.
Wood Duck

No comments:

Post a Comment