Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Rathrevor Beach

Varied Thrush

This afternoon Lori and I took Nolan and his friend Finlay down to Rathtrevor Beach in Parksville. We all needed to get out of the house and drag the boys away from their video games. We dropped the boys off at the entrance to the provincial park, so they could ride their bikes down the big hill. Lori and I parked the van and while Lori went for a run, I walked the beach. As I walked along the shoreline, Varied Thrush flew up in front of me from the debris, seaweed and logs, finding sanctuary in the forest. A few paused long enough for me to snap a few shots.
Surfbird
Further along the beach I spotted a group of shorebirds and to my delight there were Surfbird among them. My luck with this species on the island has been sketchy at best. I have had a few fly-by encounters and the odd single bird, but today, I had 22 all in one place. They were mixed in with a large group of Black Turnstone and Dunlin. Other shorebirds included Black Oystercatcher and Black-bellied Plover.

No comments:

Post a Comment