Skip to main content

NMT - April 2009

April 2009
Species list: 32 / Distance travelled: 154 kilometres

            April started with another challenge all of its own-The Brant Festival Big Day Challenge! I joined Guy Monty on his Green team. As both of us were partaking in the NMT year, we both wanted to make sure that any birds counted today would also count for our NMT year. So, with a little imaginative thinking, we arranged for an RV camper, thanks to Kori, Mary & Grandma Lynn, to be parked at the top of Little Mountain in Parksville, our start point.
            We had to cycle, from home, to the top of the mountain, the night before. Well, to be honest, we had to push our bikes to the top of Little Mountain. Here we were joined by Pete Boon another team member who had decided to stay the night. A restless sleep was had, due to some people who decided to party until the early hours right outside our camper. Nevertheless, we were up and ready for the 05:00 a.m. start time, when our other two team members; Bernard Schroeder and Neil Hughes arrived by car. We scooped three owls in about 20 minutes: Barred Owl, Great Horned Owl and Northern Saw-Whet Owl and then we rode.
            Our team clocked up 47 kilometres from 05:20 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.; finishing at the Rocking Horse Pub in Nanoose. Our team was called the Numties, a play on the word NMT. We tallied 93 species in all, six of which were, also, new NMT birds for me. After our meal we headed home. En-route I spotted a Mourning Dove, which could not be counted, as we were now in the car.
Rich Mooney, Guy Monty, Bernard Schroeder, Pete Boon, Neil Hughes
            The following morning, I checked The Vancouver Island Bird Alert and discovered that, after we had left, Guy had spotted a Mountain Bluebird behind the beer gardens. "Aggghhh!" I had to go for this bird! Back in the saddle, I headed to the pub. Though my legs were a little shaky, I was glad of the ride and a fly-over American Pipit got me back into the swing of things. It took about thirty minutes to ride there and only five minutes to locate a beautiful male Mountain Bluebird. As well, the Mourning Dove decided to show itself again, much to my delight.
            I did lots of local birding in the following weeks, and another trip up Little Mountain to improve any chance at Sooty Grouse, which boomed right on time! More migrants had found their way back and an exciting spring buzz was in the air.
            One of the biggest surprises was a Rough-legged Hawk on the 19th. I was out cutting the lawn when Guy Monty called and told me he'd seen one in Nanoose and it was coming my way! As fellow NMTers, we developed a comradery and let each other know when a good bird was around that the other needed. I watched the skies in vain, then carried on with my chores. It was four hours later, that I heard a group of crows going ballistic and looked up to see what the commotion was about. They obviously didn’t like the Rough-legged Hawk: number 148.
            More birds were added daily, including Brown-headed Cowbird, MacGillivray’s Warbler and Pacific-slope Flycatcher. The final gem for the month was a Barn Owl!  It flew directly over our house calling three times before it finally disappeared into the night. My first Barn Owl in Parksville.


Popular posts from this blog

Pied-billed Grebe

Silly o'clock and a drive to Summerset + a 2 1/2 hour watch at Ham Wall RSPB Reserve produced good looks at my first British P ied-billed Grebe. We turned up just after eight and just in time to miss this North American mega by  minutes! Little Grebes kept us on our toes but we had to wait it out until about 10:40 am when it appeared from the corner where it had disappeared. There was a nice crowd here, all remaining hopeful and humorous during this very cold vigil. This little beauty made a b-line to open water, affording all great views. Bonus bird at this site was a  Great White Egret .

Stains Moor

Today I checked the Staines Reservoir for some reported birds including Black Turn and Ruff. My target birds were not relocated but I did get another year bird: Wheatear . This was across the road; perched on a fence post. After an hour I headed to Staines Moor , a site I have never been to before. Good directional signs were non existent and I ended up asking the locals. It takes about 25 minutes from parking to actually getting onto the moor. This route is basically two public footpaths. It is definitely worth it and is a fantastic site with good visibility in all directions.The River Colne meanders through; making it very attractive and good for wildlife.  One of the features here that really stands out is the amount of yellow meadow ant hills; a favored perching spot for Wheatear I here. Birds seen included Coot, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Linnet, Goldfinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Wren, Robin, Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, Black-headed Gull, Grey Heron, Buzzard, Kestrel, Hobby, Green

Kefalonia -Greece 2015

K efalonia is the largest of the Ionian Islands, (700 sq km) and is located off the west coast of Greece. Though, in recent times, it is most notably known as the location for Captain Corellis Mandolin; it also has lots of history, interesting geography and endangered fauna.  As it sits in the earthquake zone it has seen lots of changes, especially the 1953 earthquake which badly affected all but the northern town of Fiskado. Mount Ainos dominates the landscape and at 1628 meters can be seen from most areas. One of the most famous residents is the endangered Loggerhead Turtle which breed on the southern beaches.   What follows is a short trip report highlighting my casual observations from 23rd August – 30th August 2015. Though this was not a birding holiday, I did manage a few morning sorties in various areas and hope that this will give some indication of what to expect. Kephalonia is not a ‘birding destination’ but for those of you who visit, a little effort will afford