Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Ruffed Grouse

Today I checked a few areas to see what migrants had shown up. I checked Parker Road in Qualicum first where I was greeted by a very co-operative Ruffed Grouse which posed for me as I clicked away with my camera. Next I went to The Little Qualicum Fish Hatchery where I was tripping over Chipping Sparrows! Pasific-slope Flycatcher, Hammond's Flycatcher, Black-throated Gray Warbler, Wilson's Warbler, Cassin's Vireo, Hutton's Vireo and Warbling Vireo were all present. 


The birding was going good so I made a few more stops: Rivers Edge Road in Parkville produced some of the above plus MacGillivray's Warbler and Great Horned Owl. The Englishman River Estuary was fairly quiet though there were 40 Brant at the beach access and 16 Least Sandpiper feeding on the mud flats. Finally I checked Blower Road where California Quail and Ring-necked Pheasant finished the day off nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment