Pages

Sunday, January 7, 2007

Trumpeter Swan

After a busy New Year Lori and I finally got out birding. On Saturday 06th we traveled down to Victoria to take my kids to the airport then birded back to Parksville. A Northern Shrike at the airport started us off..we made a quick stop in Sidney then headed for Cowichan Bay. There were at least 300 Trumpeter Swans and 2 had neck bands. I managed to read one and will report this and post any information I receive. (BANDED 08/03/2006 20 miles NW of Galena Alaska)  We made stops at Somenos Marsh where we got Canvasback and Mount Sicker Road railway tracks where a Peregrine Falcon was harassing a flock of American Wigeon. Finally we arrived in Parksville where Lori called out "Great Horned Owl" which flew across the road..
Today I slipped out for a few hours and birded my way from The Englishman River Estuary up to the Brant viewing tower in Qualicum Beach. There was a nice groups of shorebirds at Columbia Beach, Black-bellied Plover, Black Turnstone, Greater Yellowlegs, Dunlin, Black Oystercatcher and a single Sanderling......another treat was a Western Meadowlark!

No comments:

Post a Comment