Pages

Monday, December 5, 2005

Boreal Owl


Another walk  at the vernon tree farm today produced something very unexpected. Trevor Forder and I headed to Swan Lake in Vernon and were very happy to see an American Tree Sparrow! However, things were a little slow there so we headed to the tree farm to see if any Barred Owl or Great Horned Owl were roosting. We decided to split up to cover more ground. About ten minutes into our search I just about fell over when I looked up and noticed a small owl roosting about 8ft up in a fir-tree. I called Trevor over and we waited for only a few seconds before it turned and looked at us. It was a Boreal Owl! An owl that I had only ever heard and thought I was extremely lucky just to hear it! We phoned some of our local birding friends in Kelowna and within an hour there were another six people enjoying a fantastic view of this incredible owl.

No comments:

Post a Comment